To find out which benefits you are eligible for, visit Bridge to Benefits to use their confidential, free placement tool: Bridge to Benefits

In Emergencies, you will need to go through the proper channels first:

If about to be evicted from one’s home, heat shut off, etc.

1. Contact Department of Human Services—go in person and say it’s an emergency—that you are homeless and in need of a place to stay. (If you don’t say it’s an emergency, they will give you an appointment 2 weeks down the road)

2. Fill out an application

3. If denied, ask for the proof in writing (no other agency will help unless you have proof you’ve been denied by DHS)

Heating: Semcac: 373-1329 or The Salvation Army: 373-5710

Electric: Semcac: 373-1329, The Salvation Army: 373-5710

Rent/Eviction: Semcac: 373-1329, The Salvation Army: 373-5710

Transportation: The Salvation Army: 373-5710, Senior Resources, 377-7433

Medical Assistance: Catholic Charities (counseling): 1-507-454-2270, Lutheran Social Services (counseling): 1-507-625-7660, The Salvation Army (prescription help): 373-5710

**FamilyWize Prescription Drug discount card is available at the United Way office (373-8670) or on this web site. Average savings is $17/medication.**

Housing/Homelessness: Semcac (homeless shelter): 373-1329, The Salvation Army (temporary shelter): 373-5710, Parenting Resource Center (safe homes for children): 1-507-437-8330; Crime Victim’s Crisis Center (safe houses): 377-5461

Home repair loans/grants are available for eligible households. Please review the information and call the appropriate office to see if you can receive assistance. USDA brochure

United Way Resources


Imagination Library


Survey of Community Needs Freeborn County

Venture Contingency Fund Application

2018 Basic Needs RFP


Complaint Form

Community Resources


Choose Civility Initiative:

Housing Brochure:


Mental Health

Freeborn County is now a NAMI affiliate! To become a member and support local efforts, please return your information and payment from this brochure to NAMI MN.


Mental Health Resource Directory

Mobile Crisis Unit

*People who are living with a mental illness may call a WarmLine for non-crisis peer support: (507) 287-7161, Toll-Free: (888) 334-7754. Hours of operation are 4-8 p.m. (Thursday through Sunday)

Karen PowerPoint 2012